Recently I read Jon Bergman's blog regarding the flipped teaching model in the classroom and how it is not about the video. Instead, flipped teaching is about the time gained in the classroom by having students receive the lecture portion outside of the classroom. To me this is the 1.0 version of flipped teaching. This model can absolutely work in Physical Education and is the standard model in most classes. By making videos of information such as games, rules, techniques, etc. that are watched outside of class there should be more time in class to be active and participate.

However, unique to Physical Education, there is an equally vital role that the videos themselves can take in the daily education process. Because PE is a special that requires so much analysis of movement, using video to target and provide immediate feedback is vital to the learning process. In the 2.0 version of the flipped classroom, students both create and analyze videos of skill performances during and outside of class. Essentially we are flipping who is in the video from the teacher to the student!

Coaches have been using video analysis techniques since video was first available many years ago. It is only recently though that mobile devices have progressed to the point that nearly everyone who has a phone has access to a high quality video camera that can be used for analysis. Now that my classes have access to iPod touches and the Coach's Eye app, I can easily have every student participate in self and peer analysis with video. In my coaching and teaching experience, there is no better way to achieve change in students then when they can see and analyze their own technique.

1. [...] the Four Seasons as ideas to start their discussions.  Our PE Teachers could look at the blog, The Flipped Coach to get ideas for PE. I think it will be easier for upper elementary teachers to find purposeful [...]

2. warnetta says:

Hello I am a edm310 student at University Of South Alabama. I will be following you for a couple of weeks, and posting comments on my blog. You can read the comments on hurdwarnetta@blogspot.com.

3. warnetta says:

I love the thought of flipping the classroom, it helps students as well as teachers. In my future classroom I will be using this technique. I always talked about using the hands-on approach,and this will be perfect for that. I think that every teacher should try it.

4. Stephen Alexander says:

I love the idea of flipping P.E. I am a student at the University of South Alabama in a class called EDM 310. I coach at a local highschool and some of the coaches are P.E.teachers. We had a conversation last week about ways to teach kids more efficiently and couldnt seem to find a solution, well I believe i just found it!

Great Post.

Stephen Alexander

5. Maleki says:

Hello I am student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I am in school to become a PE teacher and although I think flipping a classroom is a great idea I never thought it could be applied to a PE class setting…until now. I really enjoyed reading your post and can't wait to read more of them.

6. John Carpenter says:

My name is John Carpenter. I am a student at the University of South Alabama, located in Mobile, Al. I am currently enrolled in micro-computing or EDM310. My assignment this week per my instruter was to read your blog post. I plan on becoming a physical education teacher upon graduation. I appreciate your blog "Flipping in Education 2.0: It's all about the videos!" I agree that allowing your students' to learn the information outside of the classroom will allow more time in the class to work on physical activitites. I think that this is a great way to get our students' more active and more fit! I enjoyed your ideas. Look forwars to reading more!

7. Samantha Wesson says:

I actually just wrote a post about this and I couldn't agree with you more.  There really isn't a better way for a student to learn than to be able to see what they are doing wrong, correct it, and then see the progression that they have made.  They see what THEY'RE doing and not what the teacher is doing, and it's also great motivation!

I never thought about it, but flipping the classroom is a great idea too.  It is hard to give individual instruction in a large P.E. class, and giving them a tutorial video to watch beforehand would save a lot of valuable class time.

Samantha Wesson, EDM 310, University of South Alabama

8. Kristy Burton says:

Hey, my name is Kristy I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am currently in school to become a PE teacher. I was very pleased to see that I got assigned to your blog. I am not much of a technological person needless to say this class hasn’t been my favorite. It has been worth it though i have learned so much in just these few months. I love your post and couldn’t agree more. I am the manager for the softball team here at south. We use right view pro. (Which is a lot like coaches eye) to help our athletes see where they our making mistakes fundamentally. This helps out athletes see exactly what we’re talking about and they can view it in and outside of the classroom .Having videos to help teach out future students will save time and allow them to improve with a simple clip. Keep the post coming and thanks for your help.

9. Jared Hanson says:

Hi, I'm a student at USA in EDM310. I like the fact that you have them learn outside the classroom so that it leaves more time for physical activities in class. Great post!

10. Kai Lopez says:

Hey, I am student at the University of South Alabama currently take the EDM 310 class. I plan to be a high school P.E teacher and I think this is a great way to teach the students. I never would have thought to have flipped the classroom to big a good idea, but this makes sense. The 2.0 version of the flipped classroom is a great idea for students to learn inside and outside of the classroom. My twitter name is: @K_Lopez15 and my blog is http://lopezkaiedm310.blogspot.com/

11. samantha west says:

Hey, my name is Samantha West, and I am a student at the University Of South Alabama. My assignment for the week was to watch the Flipped Coach, and comment with any thoughts. I like what your doing. Having the videos for the kids to watch on their down time helps to save time. Today the schools only allow an hour a day for P.E. This is not enough time to go over the sport, make sure everyone knows how to play, and get to play. I am studying to be a health teacher so i believe the more they can get out and burn, the better!

12. Hello,

My name is Raven Williams and I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I was led to your blog from my EDM 310 class. I really love your flipped teaching method. I plan to be a physical education teacher and I would definately use this for my classes. I recently took a tennis class where I was able to learn how to play pickleball. A lot of our class time was used learning the rules and techniques. I think everyone was sad that we didnt have more time to play!

13. Hunter Reid says:

Hi

My name is Hunter Reid I am studying to be a physical education teacher at the University of South Alabama. I think pickleball will be a fun game i will use in the future when i am teaching my own class. It looks really fun and all kids will enjoy playing.

14. Heather Marsh says:

pHello!/p
    pMy name is Heather Marsh, and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I will be summerizing this blog post on my own blog sometime next week. I enjoyed reading what you had to say. I have never thought about flipping a PE class, but it makes so much sense to do so. It would be very beneficial for the teacher and the student, because the teacher does not have to spend so much time explaining, because the student will already have an understanding./p

15. Brittany Lee Sparks says:

pHi my name is Brittany Sparks. I attend the University of South Alabama. I am in a course called EDM 310. I really like the idea of the flipping teaching method in PE. It will save the teacher and students a lot of time. They will get more time to enjoy and play the games in PE. By letting them view the lecture or rules to the game the night before it gives the students the chance to have their questions ready at the beginning of class. Thisnbsp;method can also be great for feedback.nbsp;/p

16. Hi! My name is Jennah Medlin and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I was skeptical about "Flipping the Classroom" the first time I heard about it, but now I cannot wait to start using this tecchnique in my future classroom! I love the way you are incorporating later analysis so your students can see what they are doing wrong and how they can improve. I know when I was in highschool, I would have loved to do this. Awesome blog! Thanks for sharing! If you'd like to follow me on Twitter, my Twitter handle is @jmed93. My blog is medlinjennahedm310@blogspot.com. I'd love if you could take a look at some of my posts!